I scampered downstairs in no time and rushed to the venue of the fire. The shining, sharp-tongued flames were bursting out of every nook and corner of the palatial house. The owners were on the street. They were beating their breasts helplessly. Their half- burnt household articles were lying scattered here and there. A large crowd of people had gathered there. Some were bringing buckets full of water and sand. The others were emptying the same on flames, but in vain.
It was discovered that the little child of the merchant was left in the house. The child’s mother was trying to rush towards the burning house and the people were holding her back. Spontaneously I rushed inside the house at great risk of my life and brought the child unharmed in my arms. I got some burns which were later cured in a hospital. All the people held their breath. The child’s mother sobbed and hugged the baby. She kissed my forehead, saying, and “My son!” She could not even utter words to thank me. Meanwhile two fire brigade engines arrived and brought the fire under control in about an hour. The adjoining houses were fortunately saved. Loss to property was estimated at four lakhs, but thank God, there was no loss of life.
It was then learnt that the embers left burning in the hearth which was placed in the courtyard had caused the fire, the softly blowing wind having further fanned it.